Virtual eXperience Infrastructure
The modern style of working today causes that employees are becoming more mobile, independent, as well as having a free choice of tools on which they want to work and on the other hand, aware of the costs incurred by the organization or yourself. Therefore, the majority challenge, which IT and business department faces today is: how to improve performance of employees on an increasing number of mobile devices in the workplace. At the same time, the security requirements cannot be sacrifice. Desktop Virtualization is a key technology that helps in the adaptation of new equipment. By virtualizing resources, you can mitigate the compatibility issues and solve security issue, thereby creating a consistent experience that increases user productivity.
Desktop virtualization is a technology that separates the physical machine (computer) from desktop operating system and applications. It allows the introduction of a centralized architecture, a client-server. The employee use only a small non-complicated, reliable terminal which is able to display the image, all software is transferred to the Data Centre (DC). Company is able to create a uniform business environment called Unified Workspace.
Desktop is placed in a virtualized environment in DC. With the rapid development and high-performance of servers, on a single physical server can be installed several virtual PCs. Top server vendors in the industry are able to install on a single server over 150 virtual “computers.”
Cisco has expanded the concept of VDI by introducing and optimizing the entire solution to support of multimedia applications such as voice and video, creating a fully virtualized solution for business. In this way there is a new term extension VDI – VXI (Virtual eXperience Infrastructure).
The introduction of the new model in which all PC resources are centralized has many advantages, below are some of them:
– Simpler, faster development and deployment of new workspace (PC)
– Lower costs of deploying new applications, as well as rapid migration to new operating systems such as Windows XP to Windows 7
– Improved security of corporate data,
– Longer refresh cycle a client desktop infrastructure (reliable terminals)
– Secure remote access to data,
– Greater mobility of workers,
– Allow users to use their own equipment,
– Reduce operational costs associated with maintaining users’ machines as well as reduce the cost of electricity consumption
Unfortunately, like any technology, it has a number of troublesome issues, which companies should consider before, here are some of them:
– Potential loss of productivity, but it can be reduced through the use of hardware support for virtualization, network bandwidth optimization, the use of effective communication protocol (eg PCoIP, ICA) and the selection of appropriate resources,
– Potential security risk if the architecture of a solution is not properly planned and managed,
– Challenges in connecting and maintaining peripherals,
– Maintaining the high reliability of the network, building a cluster system,
– The complexity of the implementation and management of VDI, can be reduced through the use of pre-tested and well-described models and architectural implementation.
Please, check our offer in Offer>Data Center>VDI/VXI